Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Claycation 2020 Project!

***Note: this project was a one-time resource for families seeking a free creative outlet at the onset of the stay at home order- I am no longer offering clay kits at this time***

Hi everyone,

I hope you enjoy creating something with clay during this time at home. (**Note: I took good care to wash my hands well when preparing the bags and all clay tools have been in storage since the Fall Festival 2019, so though they may have a little dry clay on them I assure you they are germ free).

Here are some important rules to follow to help me keep track of everyone's work:

1.)  Please write your name & contact info on the bag of clay you chose with a sharpie ( e-mail or phone number- so I can contact you when work is fired & ready for pick up)

2.) When you are all finished with your project please make sure the number written on your bag gets etched into your sculpture ( this is the only way I can tell them apart in the kiln- don't put your name on the sculpture itself- just the legible number please, it's easier for me this way).

3.) Return your sculpture to the plastic bag it came in ( I don't want the sculptures getting bone dry as it makes them very fragile) and drop back off at my studio on the table. I will fire the pots and notify everyone about pick up.

Some Important Rules about clay!!!

Sculpture/ pots should be less than 1" thick to avoid exploding in the kiln

 If anything is hollow with no way for air to escape- please poke a hole in it to allow air out ( the clay shrinks, but the air inside doesn't-creating pressure & cracking)

SCRATCH and ATTACH- any pieces of clay attached together should be scratched with the fork and water and stuck together firmly and smoothed so they don't fall apart in the kiln.

INSPIRATION ( Please visit my Instagram Page for videos/ demos as I was having technical difficulties posting them here):

Pinch Pots- Form clay into a ball, make a thumb print in the middle of the ball and rotate as you gently "pinch" the clay with your fingers creating a bowl shape. What type of snacks can your bowl hold?

Textures- experiment with pressing different toys and natural objects into your clay and see what patterns you can make

Tiles- roll out the clay and cut into a shape to create a flat tile

Sculptures- sculpt an animal, person or creature ( just make sure clay is no more than 1" thick and that you scratch and attach all parts well)

Enjoy and have fun!!


No comments: